Subject: Re: X Window window scroll bars?
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/04/1997 18:34:00
>> Ummm...should X Window windows have scroll bars?  I mean, it is pretty
>> clear to me that for functionality's sake scroll bars would be really
>> useful (unless of course the need for them were obviated by constantly
>> scrolling text), but on my system (IIci now proudly running
>> GENERICSBC-26) there are no scroll bars, and the text does not advance
>> automatically in the X Window windows.  Should it?  Any suggestions for a
>> fix?
>
>Whether or not an xterm window has scrollbars depends on you current
>XResource settings, the command line options to xterm, and your xterm
>menu settings.  Try reading the manual page for xterm, there are at least
>3 ways that I know of to turn them on (i.e. the ones I listed above).

Sorry.  I should have though of trying the man pages first.  Still, it is
difficult for me to conceive of a use for a window that doesn't add each
line as it is printed or have a scroll bar.  I keep forgetting that I am
dealing with a flavor of Un*x now, and I have the flexibility to have
things be perfectly useless, if that is the way I want them :-)

>> Also, what is dt, and what will it do for me?
>
>Dt, short for desktop, I think, is a virtual terminal program.
>Basically, it allows you to have several terminals running at once,
>rather than the fairly slow ite console device.  You can switch between
>them by hitting Command-# combinations.  Another neat feature is that you
>can use the mouse to cut and paste, unlike the console.  If you're happy
>with X, you probably don't need it, but I usually keep a copy around
>just in case I don't need/want to use X.

While I am on the subject of things that hadn't occurred to me, I now
recall that I have a copy of dt around here somewhere.  I would imagine
it would have a README in it.

Thanks,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze   71410.25@compuserve.com

Overheard in the Deep Ops Planning Cell:
"Yeah, but remember, Custer *died* in a 'target-rich environment'!"