Subject: Re: Booting a Performa 636
To: Rolf Braun <rbraun@geocities.com>
From: William O Ferry <woferry@cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/04/1997 10:57:16
>I've gotten the kernel to boot on my 637CD, so it should work. (note the
>LC040 problem, however =()

	Yeah, I know people who have gotten it to work on the 636CD before.
That's why I can't understand why it doesn't work on mine...  =(

>If you're having trouble with the Bernoulli, you could try loading the
>kernel from the MacOS hard disk.

	So far I haven't done anything with the Bernoulli (like I said, Mkfs
1.4 can't do anything with it, nor will the patched Apple HD Setup.  I'm just
trying to load a kernel off my internal drive's MacOS filesystem.  I just
figured that now that I have a SCSI drive I might be able to actually put a
small filesystem on the machine too, but nothing seems to want to put an A/UX
or NetBSD partition on the Bernoulli drive.

>--> One thing: you DO have Virtual Memory turned OFF, right? =) <--

	Yep.  Also tried it under my 7.5.1 System (has almost no extensions,
I use it to boot into MachTen), also no VM, 2 or 256 colors, with and without
extensions.  In all cases, it does the same as it did under 7.5.3R2, but it
dies one line earlier.  Under 7.5.3 the last line on the screen is something
like "Closing bootlog".  On 7.5.1 it crashes right before this point.  The
bootlog gets hosed during the crash.

	Oh, well.  Guess I'll stick to MachTen for now...
								Will Ferry