Subject: Re: Could you help me?
To: Marco A. Ramirez <marami@terraba.fing.ucr.ac.cr>
From: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/03/1997 11:59:42

> Could I install only the basic unix system on my mac and the rest on the
> zip disks? and how much memory does it required (the basic)? Is it 50 M ok?
> Do I need to do the partition to the hard disk before I intall the unix
> system?

I currently have a basic system and x installed on a 65mb drive, with a
16mb swap, on a IIci with 12m.  There's another 16m on the hard disk,
the rest of which is mac.

I've also installed entirely onto a zip, with no unix partitions at all
on the mac.  The trick, which i haven't quite masterd :), is getting the
zip going . . .

> Could I use the zip disks to install on it the server, the database and
> other programs? Do I have to do the partition to the zip disk? or do I have
> to format the zip disk to be compatible with the mac or the PC's?

You need to format the zip, yes.  There is a howto on formatting zips at
the macbsd.com site.  Some of the information, however, isn't correct.
I got a zip formatted this way before, though--but now i can't duplicate
this feat.
>If yes,
> How can I do the partion if the program (Apple HD SC Setup) that I use does
> not read that there is a zip disk in the scsi port? Do I have to use other
> program? Wich one? Can you help to get it?

In the mac utilities directories, there is a hacked "HD SC A/UX", which
will format non-apple disks.

> Can I do all that? Is it hard to do it? Can you help me?

The only hard part is getting the zip going in the first place :)