Subject: fs format and Install (Re: can't find libXpm4.7, mount union not supported)
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1997 13:51:28
On Wed, 02 Apr 1997 09:46:03 +0900,
I <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:24:16 -0800 (PST),
> wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) wrote:
> > > Meanawhile, mount union, which sounds like the solution to another
> > > project around here (keeping some executables on obsolete machines, with
> > > the big stuff on a server), claims not to be supported.  do i need a
> > > diffetnet kernel?
> >
> > Yes. It needs to be compiled in as an option.
>
> Aren't most GENERIC kernels built with the option?  I think the
> problem is that /usr resides in the root filesystem and it doesn't
> support whiteouts (ala Mkfs-make filesystems).

Ok, I forgot to offer a solution.

The one with least impact on the existing installation is the
following, I think:

	1) make a new filesystem on a Zip disc with the NetBSD
	newfs command (not with the Mkfs utility).
	2) mount the Zip disc (we call the mount point /zip for
	convenience)
	3) do this as root:
		(cd /; tar cf - usr) | (cd /zip; tar xvpf -)
	4) umount /zip
	5) mount /dev/sdNx /usr
	6) follow the standard procedure to install comp12.

You probably should do this in the single-user mode (at least steps 4
and 5, I think).

Alternatively, you can convert the format of root filesystem with fsck
to the newer one which supports whiteouts necessary for union mount,
but the resulted filesystem may be unmountable under the Install
utility.  That was the case when last I tried (since which point of
time it's passed rather a long time).  It lead to an Installer crash
and left the filesystem badly corrupted.

Is this still the case with the latest Install 1.1d?

Ken