Subject: ppp problems all over again.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1997 18:54:18
(my computer crashed as i was sending a message similar to this, so sorry
if you get two similar pieces of email.)
i can't get ppp scripts to work.
my setup involves myself having a dynamic address, and the remote host
having a dynamic address (a bunch of Ascend MAX's). this rules out
ppp-dod.tgz (paul goyette stuff) because it requires static IP.
so, i am using ppp.setup.tgz. still no luck: i tar -zxvf the file, and i
open the readme. ok. ppp-up starts ppp, ppp-down stops it. good. i like
paul goyette's version because i don't want my resolv.conf moved, so i type
in that long sommand which deletes two files and renames to others to the
ones i just deleted.  i put my username and password in the appropriate
places in ppp-login, and my single dialup number in ppp-numbers.
i set up my options file, and notice that the defaults do not have "modem"
"/dev/tty00", "57600" (my baud rate), or "noipdefault" in there, which are
probably some of the most commonly used functions. actually, in my
previous setup, they were the only four functions i used to run ppp.
nevertheless, i put my domain in for the domain entry in the options file
given, and change the "wrstuden" to my username and then run ppp-up.
whoops, need to chmod 755 that file. then i run ppp-up.
result: ppp doesn't work. the TR light on my modem goes on, and some data
activity is happening, but the connection isn't up. maybe it's thinking it
connected and it really didn't?
what have i done wrong?
my simple script did the job, but ml.org (free domain people) just made a
new dynamic DNS project, and i want in, and they include a line to add at
the end of my ip-up file.
i'm pooped, i've been trying to work on this for the past few hours with no
apparent success. :(
can anyone help me?
*very* much appreciated...
thanks,