Subject: Re: services and inetd.conf
To: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1997 15:42:25
At 5:17 PM 4/1/97, synapse wrote:
>I installed httpd (apache actually) on my system, as well as in.identd. so
>i added these lines in these files:
>in /etc/services:
>
>httpd     80/tcp     http   # WorldWideWeb HTTP
>httpd     80/udp            # HyperText Transfer Protocol
>ident     113/tcp    auth      tap

My setup runs fine without anything in /etc/services.  If you need this you
probably only need one of the two http entries.  I thought identd came with
the system;  you need it on the client machines, not the server anyway.

>in /etc/inetd.conf:
>
>httpd     stream  tcp   nowait   root   /usr/local/bin/httpd    httpd
>ident     stream  tcp   nowait   root   /usr/local/sbin/in.identd in.identd

Likewise I don't do this.  There is a discussion of how to run httpd
somewhere in the package.  (Maybe I'm thinking of NCSA though.)  If you run
it from inetd I think you need another option.  Not sure.

In any case it's usually preferred that you start httpd directly from
rc.local.  That way it already has some servers spun up and ready when
someone tries to connect.  If you use the inetd approach then it has to
spawn a new daemon for each connection and that daemon has to go read the
config files and log its startup before it can respond.  Not a good idea
unless you have limited memory and very little traffic.