Subject: Re: hfsutils
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@sandia.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1997 18:16:42
Has anyone been able to use xhfs lately?  I used to use it, but
ever since I upgraded to NetBSD-1.2 (and this week 1.2.1), I
get a kernel panic every time I try to use xhfs.  This happens
with hfsutils-2.0 and whatever the prev. version was.  Any ideas
why and how to make it not do that?  Actually, I've noticed that
if I try to do something illegal to the file system I get a kernel
panic.  For example, I just added a 20 Mb (yes, 20) external drive
for backing up some critical files.  When I was setting it up, I
incorrectly tried
newfs /dev/sd2c
and that caused a kernel panic every time until I realized I wanted
newfs /dev/sd2g

Do I just have a problem in my setup or are others experiencing this too?

I have a mac IIci and I am using the binary distribution with the generic
kernel that came with it.  When I upgraded from 1.1 to 1.2 and then 1.2.1 I
did not touch anything in /etc.  Could this be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan