Subject: Re: NetBSD testimonials (was Re: Some impressions...)
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 13:10:59

> On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Kelvin Chu wrote:
>
> > NetBSD1.2.  I'm running the generic distribution on a MacIIsi, and I'm
>
> Hmmm.  This is interesting.  So far, at least three of the people who have
> responded are using IIsi's.  Was that just a high-seller, or is there some
> kind of correlation between the group of people who bought IIsi's and the
> group of people who are interested in running free un*x clones on their
> Macs?  Anybody?  :-)

I think it's a combo of two things. One is that the IIsi was part of a
campagn by Apple to make "lower price" macs. Of that batch (th IIsi,
LC, and Classic), it is AFAIK the only one which will run NetBSD w/o
an accelerator. The other thing has to do (I think) with NetBSD/mac68k's
growth path. The older machines, though useful, are a bit tired. The newer
machines aren't fully supported yet. So I think the IIsi is right in the
sweet-spot of having sold a lot, being old-enough that folks can run
non-production (non MacOS at work) things on them, and being supported
well by NetBSD.

I bet as the Quadras get better supported, the IIsi will loose in
percentage. :-)

Take care,

Bill