Subject: Re: the strange mail you've been receiving
To: jon96013) <jon96013@gordon.ricks.edu (Jones, Bethany Jane>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/1997 16:12:10

> Dear whom ever you are,
>
>         I fear that I am not the person you think I am.  I am a confused
> Pre-Nursing Major in Idaho.  I an recieving a lot of E-mail that doesn't
> belong to be.  Please check your address, and if it is not
> jon96013@gordon.ricks.edu  I am sorry but it is ending up in my box.  This
> may mean it's not going where you want it to.

The problem seems to be that you are receiving EMail from a mailing list
discussing a Unix-like operating system for 68k Macintoshes. Your
message indicates you do not remember subscribing to this list.

No person can check the address to which we are sending the mail as we
send it to a central server which resends it to everyone on the list.
To stop the mail, you need to unsubscribe from the list.

The easiest way to do this is to send mail to "majordomo@netbsd.org" with
no subject (or some spaces would be fine), and one line:
"unsubscribe port-mac68k". Of course, type only the stuff between quotes.

It's best if you send it as it should happen automatically.

One of the first messages you received should have been a "Welcome to
port-mac68k" message. It contained the above instructions on unsubscribing.

There are a number of possable reasons for the messages. Someone at your
school might have typed a subscription request in wrong, you could have
an account whose name previously belonged to someone on the list, or
you might have a personalized copy of Netscape (or internet explorer)
on your computer. If someone used this browser to subscribe to this list
from a web page, they subscribed you, not them.

For quickest results, send mail directly to majordomo@netbsd.org. Any
other actions will require human intervention, which will be slower.

Take care,

Bill

P.S. I am sending you a copy directly, and also sending one to the list.
So you will receive two copies.