Subject: Re: Can't boot NetBSD on a IIvx - hangs during boot
To: Jason <jason@bewley.net>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/27/1997 21:12:05
>Machine: MacIIvx
>Memory:  12MB
>HD Space: 230MB (200MB AUX usr/root partition, 9MB swap)
>Kernel:  Many, but currently generic 1.2
>
>I am brand new to this list and most likely because I have a problem. :)
>
>I am a new NetBSD user and have successfuly installed NetBSD generic 1.2
>on my IIcx at home and once where I work on a IIvx.  Well, I swapped a
>hard drive with a Centris 650 so I could have a bigger drive (230MB), and
>reinstalled NetBSD.  Only this time, it didn't work.  I used the same
>binary files and everything that I used the first time and have tried
>three different kernels (generic, wormhole, and ADBTEST) all to no avail.
>
>Okay, so get to the point, right?  What's the error?
>
>Here is what I get:
>
>PRAM: 0x32e3d75f, macos_boottime: 0x32e3d74d.
>
>Then it hangs forever.
>
>I am quite frustrated.  I have booted without INITs, upped the booter mem
>allocation, changed to 32 bit mode, and all of that stuff.  I can't figure
>it out.  So please would one of you wise people let me know what I am
>screwing up?  Thanks a whole lot and I hope to get a lot out of this list.

hello, I have a IIvx as well.
Let me start off by saying you might want more swap space. generally twice
the amount of real RAM is recommended for the amount of swap, but even i
have broken that "rule"..i have 20MB RAM and 32MB swap.
anyway, back to the problem:
have you tried zapping the PRAM? hold down command-option-P-R on start
up...that might fix it.
Also, you might want to boot in either 8-bit color or 1-bit color. 16-bit
color does not work. (may i suggest using 1-bit color - dt (virtual
console) and X11R6  will not run when the built in video is set to anything
other than 1-bit. unless you have a nubus video card...)
my other suggestion would to boot off booter version 1.9. not 1.9.1, 1.9.4,
or 1.9.5. just plain 1.9. someone gave me this hint awhile ago, and it
solved the booting problem for me...
good luck!
  - a