Subject: Re: NetBSD / MacBSD problems
To: Matt Christian <mchrist8@d.umn.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1997 17:05:44
> This is what happened:
> I setup the options and preferences to what they were suppose to be and
> then I tried to Boot now.  It went through the whole sequence without a
> problem and got to a white screen with some black text on the top.

Sounds good so far.

> It then stayed there and after about 10 seconds, the whole screen got
> filled up from the bottom with a red and green vertical line pattern.  It
> filled up the screen fully and then just stopped there.  I have let it sit
> there for 5 minutes but it doesn't do anything.  I tried hitting return,
> ESC, control c, control x, control l, and numerous other keys.  I don't
> know what's wrong.  I am then forced to restart the computer using the
> front Restart button.  I have tried to change the options and quit and
> then come back to the booter but nothing helps.  I am also restarting
> with no extensions on while trying all this.
>
> Can you help me?

Is there any chance you can tell us just how far the boot process got?
If I knew where it started having trouble, it might be a bit easier to
troubleshoot.

> I have:
> Mac IIci (normal, no weird cards, etc.)
> 16 MB RAM
> 430 MB Hard Drive (formatted and partitioned with Hard Disk Toolkit 1.6.2)
> Unknown Ethernet Card (free from a friend)
> Built-in Video (no card)
> Cheap 14" Mitsubishi monitor (uses a converter to hook into the computer)
> Running System 7.5 (with and without extensions)
>
> As you can see, I have most everything that is standard except maybe for
> the fact of the ethernet card but I haven't even gotten to try that out!
>
> I haven't gotten to any prompts or logins at all yet, just that weird
> screen.

I'd try setting your video to B&W _before_ booting.  This might helps
things a little.

> BTW, what is the difference in port-m68k and port-mac68k?  Is there any?

Big one.  The port-mac68k mailing list is for discussing issues relating
to the Mac port of NetBSD.  The port-m68k list is for discussing issues
relating to all of the Motorola 68000-series processor-based ports of
NetBSD.  Chances are, very few questions you may have will pertain to the
latter, so use the former list.

Later.