Subject: Re: Troubles with Quadra 650 and NetBSD 1.2
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Olivier Boudry <oboudry@isrec-sun1.unil.ch>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1997 18:39:32
Hello!

>I suppose that it's possible that you have a corrupted copy of init.  You
>might try to reinstall it and see how it goes.

Thanks for your reply.
I tried to reinstall several times. Usually I can boot the first time after
installation, and then I get the same errors again.

I get lots of INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT errors during the file system checks,
some SEGMENTATION FAULT messages and it often end in a "panic: init died
(signal 0, exit 11), stopped at  _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6" or sometimes
"panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc, stopped at..."
Yesterday, I used it for a while after having reformatted and reinstalled
the whole system. I had several Input/Output errors, couldn't launch some
applications. I tried to launch some /usr/games/ files, got not found error
messages (but the file names where displayed when I was doing ls).
I had problems editing the password file too (using vipw).

It looks like if some files are damaged when I try to use them. I usually
get lots of Input/output errors when I try functions or applications. Maybe
the new scsi driver is not already at it's top.

At the end of this message, I added a "standard" log I wrote down after a
boot failed. It was the second time I tried to boot after having
reinstalled the files. If somebody can make something of that stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Olivier

********* my bootlog just after NetBSD started *********

/dev/rse0a: INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=3D393 (34 should be 18) (CORRECTED)
/dev/rse0a: BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS (SALVAGED)
/dev/rse0a: SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD (SALVAGED)
/dev/rse0a: FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPER BLK (SALVAGED)
/dev/rse0a: 1900 files, 26475 used, 108967 free (375 frags, 13574 blocks,
0.3% fragmentation)
/dev/rse0a: MARKING FILE SYSTEM CLEAN
setting tty flags
starting network
add host myname.my.domain: gateway localhost
starting rpc daemons: portmaps
starting system logger, time daemonSegmentation fault
.
checking for core dump...
savecore: reboot after panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
savecore: system went down at Thu Jan 23 19:14:09 1997
savecore: /var/crash/bounds: No such file or directory
savecore: writing core to /var/crash/netbsd.0.core
savecore: /dev/rsd0b: Input/output error
savecore: WARNING: core may be incomplete

checking quotas: Segmentation fault - core dumped
 done.
building databases...
kvm_mkdb: /var/db/kvm_netbsd.tmp: Input/output error
clearing /tmp
standard daemons: update cron.
starting network daemons: routed printer Segmentation fault
panic: init died (signal 0, exit 11)
stopped at         _Debugger+0x6: uulk   a6
db>

PS: is there a way to have this log written to a file while booting? The
booter's bootlog stops when NetBSD starts and this second part is probably
interesting too.

 Olivier Boudry
 La L=E9chaire
 1612 Ecoteaux