Subject: Re: Booting trouble.
To: None <weich3@earthlink.net>
From: Michael Peters <sailor@oro.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/24/1997 16:36:20
On Fri, 24 Jan 1997 weich3@earthlink.net wrote:

> This is a first time post to this list. Please be patient.
>
> I got an error that means nothing to me when I tried to boot NetBSD. The
> error is: Panic: ResHndls table too small!
>
> Machine Info:
> Quadra 800
> 88MB RAM
> NetBSD installed on Syquest 200
> NetBSD 1.2
> Generic Kernel 21
>
> That may not be enough info, I dunno. One last note. I was able to get
> NetBSD to boot on this machine in this configuration using an earlier
> kernel (alas I'm not sure which one at this point). The only problem I had
> at that time was BSD's dislike for my CD-ROM drive. Turning it off allowed
> booting to proceed. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

  Having had a similar error on my machine (not even close to yours), I
would suggest removing any non-essential equipment, if you're using any
fancy mice or keyboard, switch to the apple-supplied adb device.  NetBSD
had the same error on my machine, and as soon as I switched my mouse from
what I had to a basic apple mouse, the problem dissapeared.  If the
problem does disapear, start adding equipment back until it happens again,
that's probably the offensive item.

  The other possibility is one of the codemasters has changed the size of
the table, and your mac doesn't like that.  This seems a tad unlikely, but
anything's possible.

  hope this helps,

Michael D. Peters