Subject: Re: ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured
To: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1997 22:25:02
On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Mamoru Yamanishi wrote:

> > ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: Device not configured
> >
> > That's the error I get when trying to run netstart on my IIcx under kernel
> > 1.2.  The ethernet card is an Apple NB, which is supported and it is right
> > next to the video card where it should be.  I checked back issues of this
>
> The ethernet card that you intended to use is _really_ supported one?
> It might have new SONIC chip "DP83934", or so, as LAN controler LSI, wrong?
>
> The ethernet driver "ae" currently supports "DP8390x", or A/ROSE type,
> I think.

The A/ROSE type of card, which I'd guess is what Jason has, is not
supported as far as I can tell.  This type of card has a 68000 processor
on it that is used to offload some of the processing tasks from the main
processor.  I could be wrong on this, but it seems that every time we talk
about the Apple EtherNet NB card, it's the one with the 68000 on it.

> By the way, on Q630, I have not met the good ethernet cards yet.

This is probably an interrupt problem that needs to be resolved... the
kernel is not likely to be dealing with the internal video interrupt at
all.

--scott