Subject: mkfs 1.4 troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steven Campbell <scampbel@osha.igs.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1997 18:30:20
Hi, sorry to point out problems that i've had with the new mkfs 1.4, but
here goes.
I have an Quantum 270 MB hard disk.  It was reinitialized with Apple HD SC
Setup vers. 7.3.5, and given a approx. 215 MB root&usr partition, and an
approx. 36 MB swap partition.  All of the space was allocated to one
partition or another.  In other words, there was no unallocated space.
when I fired up mkfs 1.4 to convert the root&usr partition into a BSD 4.3
filesystem, mkfs only saw the swap partition.
I reinitialized the hard disk, and tried again, creating a 16 MB root
partition, a 36 MB swap partition, and a approx. 210 MB usr partition,
allocating all available hard disk space.  What happened then was that mkfs
saw the root partition and the swap partition, but didn't see the usr
partition.
The only way I could get the root or root&usr partition (as applicable) to
be seen by mkfs is by leaving a small amount of the hard disk unallocated (
approx. 20 kB ).  Then mkfs saw the root&usr or usr partition.
Is this a known issue?
I haven't had a chance to try this test with other formatters such as FWB
1.7.x or Apple HD SC Setup ( for A/UX 3.1 ).

Steven

  "Intel Inside" The worlds most used warning label.