Subject: Re: ppp access
To: Matt Ahrens <matt@callnet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1997 14:50:49

> I got my macbsd box to do dialup ppp just fine, dialing up to my ISP.

That's a good start!

> As far as I can tell, the macbsd kernel does not support the ethernet card
> i have
> (a comm-slot card on a Quadra 630).

Probably true.

> I want my other machine at home (a P166 running win95) to be able to
> connect to the macbsd box and run ppp and be able to at least get to my
> macbsd box which can proxy. Hopefully i can make the win95 box get out to
> the rest of the net directly (i also help run the ISP, so that's no problem).

A number of folks have done this. There's a firewall kit at puma
(ftp.macbsd.com) describes how to set that part up.

> I got it to the point where i can run a terminal emulator on the win95 box
> and open up a shell on the macbsd box, so all my cables and things are
> straight.

Good.

> my question is, how do i do this?? i know on bsdi boxes, there is a 'ppp'
> command and an /etc/ppp.sys file that does ppp serving. how do i do such
> ppp serving on my macbsd box?

Look at the man pages on ppp and pppd. Something like pppd tty01 38400 crtscts
should work fine. But look at the man pages.

The one thing which will need to be changed in the ppp scripts which I
put at puma is that the code to see if ppp is up looks for pppd. It
should look at the tty lock file (as otherwise the to-windows ppp will keep
the modem ppp from coming up).

Take care,

Bill