Subject: Re: Installer crashes on LC II
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Russell Cotton <rcotton@tenet.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1997 07:42:09
On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> > I was going to try installing NetBSD/mac68k the other day. I partitioned
> > my HD (105MB) and ran mkfs on in; no problems. I downloaded installer
> > 1.1c (I think) and when I added the files to expand and install and
> > clicked done, a window flashed up for a millisecond that looked like it
> > said "Installing base.tar.gz" and then the program quit with error 90 (I
> > think)
> >
> > I am running an LC II with 8MB RAM. I ran the installer with extensions
> > off and with the 7.5 disk tools system.
>
> Sounds good so far, but you'll probably want to allocate more memory to
> the Installer application.  When I installed everything last night from
> scratch (i.e. base, etc, man, misc, text, comp, X), I simply upped the
> preferred memory size to 3096 KB.  This worked fine for me, not a single
> error.

I tried upping the memory partition to 4500K and it still crashes as the
installation dialog box appears. I can enter the mini-shell and change
the directory structure (ie. add and remove directories), so I know the
file system is OK.

It doesn't make any sense. Maybe it is the version of the installer
(1.1c). Is that too new? Do I need an older version that is more tested?

Joseph Cotton
rcotton@tenet.edu