Subject: Re: Don't use ps,vmstat,config...etc
To: None <chacha@wizplanet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1997 11:43:49
> I have used NetBSD/mac68k-1.2 on IIsi.
>
> I can have used commands (ps, vmstat).
>
> Then, I install GENERIC-20 from
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/kernel/ to my IIsi.
>
> But, I can't use command (ps, vmstat).
>
>   #ps
>   #  kernel size illigal...
>   #vmstat
>   #  not find __????, __???? in kernel

What did you name this kernel? The name /netbsd should always refer to
the running kernel. Also, make sure that, whenever you try a new kernel,
you save the old (working) one first. Just rename it.

When you change the kernel, there are times when you have to recompile
programs like ps and vmstat. They include information about the kernel
that existed when they were compiled. If the chagnes between kernels
are small, just renaming /netbsd will be fine. If there are large
differences (or just differences at a level which confuse the kernel-
reading code), then you have to recompile ps, vmstat, and a few others.

Take care,

Bill