Subject: Re: serial port problems
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Brian Andresen <btandresen@ucdavis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1997 18:35:33
On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > I gave this a try, but fsck didn't report any problems and nothing's
> > different.
>
> Did you check things close? It's not the first thing I'd check, but
> something weird is going on, so start checking minutia.

Yeah, everything was clean.

> That's bad. The next things I can think of are:
>
> Make sure tty00 and tty01 are still correct devices. (c 12,0 and c 12,1 IIRC)

Check.

> Check permissions (though you'd get an error for that!).

Check.

> Check the config files are correct. Word for word.

As a baseline, I'm trying to get tip to work before I look at pppd.  The
/etc/remote file has the following entry:

  ucd:\
    :dv=/dev/tty00:br#9600:du:cu=/dev/tty00:at=hayes:pn=7527925

and the command I'm trying is "tip ucd".  Seems pretty plain-vanilla to
me.

> Check the file size and some sort of checksum (or re-install) the affected
> binaries.

I'll do a re-install of base12 tonight if I'm still stuck.

> Is anything else wrong? Did something else die, and this is the only part
> you've noticed?

If I haven't noticed it, I can't tell you that it's wrong. ;)  Everything
seems okay.

> Do the zstty boot messages look ok?

Yup:

  zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
  zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1

> Try turning on debugging in ppp and in chat.

No further info from either of them.

> Did you change kernels?

Nope, this is my first time with NetBSD and I just grabbed the formal 1.2
distribution.

> Good luck!

Thanks -- it looks like I need it!