Subject: Re: strange behavior in current kernels when booting in multi-user mode
To: Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1997 08:20:16
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Masami Nakata wrote:

.. Hello,
..
.. I've been experiencing a strange behavior in current kernels when
.. booting in multi-user mode.  When it starts fsck'ing the filesystems,
.. fsck just stops there at seemingly random points.  Sometimes fsck
.. stops before showing anything, and sometimes it stops showing lines
.. after checking a few filesystems.
..
.. If I boot in single-user mode and do fsck by hand, it works just fine.
.. The only difference I can think of between booting in multi-user and
.. single-user modes is that fsck may check filesystems "parallelly" when
.. booting in multi-user mode, whereas it does not when invoked by hand.
..

I have seen this for a long time om my IIcx with three disks. As I don't
reboot it very frequently, I've just set the booter to boot it single-user
and then give it a ^D to go to multi-user mode. This work-around works
every time, while booting directly to multi-user mode fails (almost?)
every time.

- Erik Bertelsen