Subject: Re: thanks.
To: David Brownlee , Riccardo Mottola <rmottola@ns.spm.it>
From: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1997 18:55:39
And even easier (well, *I* think so!) is 'apropos', which works in NetBSD
and some solaris I think (but not all un*x). I guess it depends whether you
liek the word 'apropos' or not... I do :-)

e.g.
% apropos space

It brings up the same list as man -k.

John.

At 11:43 9/1/97, David Brownlee wrote:
>        'df'
>
>        For future reference rememeber 'man -k'
>
>(orwell ~)4% man -k space
>calloc (3) - allocate clean memory (zero initialized space)
>df (1) - display free disk space
>expand, unexpand (1) - expand tabs to spaces, and vice versa
>fetch (9) - fetch data from user-space
>isalpha, isupper, islower, isdigit, isxdigit, isalnum, isspace, ispunct,
>isprint, isgraph, iscntrl, isblank, isascii, toupper, tolower, toascii (3)
>- character classification macros
>isblank (3) - blank-space character test
>isgraph (3) - printing character test (space character exculsive)
>isprint (3) - printing character test (space character inclusive)
>isspace (3) - white-space character test
>quot (8) - display disk space occupied by each user
>store (9) - store data to user-space
>
>        Anything with a (1) is a user command, (8) is a sysadm command,
>        (2) & (3) are programming interfaces, (4) are devices, (5) are
>        configuration files, (6) are games, (7) are reference files
>        (ie 'man ascii') and (9) are kernel programming interfaces.
>
>                David/abs       david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}
>
>System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
>Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
>  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
>         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.
>
>On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> Thanks to all for the help in my frist unix steps. Meanwhile I found a
>> manual in my daddy's bookcase.
>>
>> For I cannot use the external HD, I partitioned only 60Mb.
>> Is this enough to get
>> - base stuff
>> - text editors
>> - agmes
>> - X
>> - cc
>> without sources?
>>
>> What's the Unix command to find out how much free space I have? I cannot
>> find it.
>>
>> Bye
>>
>>    Dick
>>

>> Man lebt nur einmal: jetzt.

                     "It's not a Bug(TM) it's a Feature"

 ["Bug" is a registered trademark of Microsloth Corp. All wrongs reserved]

    +-+-+ Admin on Monochrome (telnet 138.40.17.10 for more details) +-+-+
                  Email tugs@mono.org || happy@dircon.co.uk