Subject: Re: Update on the PowerBook 140
To: Daniel M. Lipton <photo@northstar.antistatic.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1997 18:21:24
On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Daniel M. Lipton wrote:

> adb:  bus subsystem
> Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xed00, 0x  401f3f, 0x  10932, 0x          0
> mrg:  skipping egret setup
> adb:  calling ADBReInit
> adb:  using PowerBook 100-series hardware support
> adb:  cleanup; nothing returned
> adb:  200 dpi mouse at 3

There should have been a line such as
adb:  extended keyboard at 15
or something like that (that's just bs'ing it off the top of my head, plus
it wouldn't read as extended, but still) in order for the kernel to work.
It sounds like the powerbook keyboard is returning a different value and
the probe is ignoring it, but who knows.  Ideas, anyone?  I'm about to try
this with a 145, if anybody thinks it has a chance.  I can connect an
external keyboard if anybody thinks it'd do some good.  Which would be
better?  An AppleDesign or a "Model number 685-5801" (Apple IIgs adb
keyboard from a little later than the Mac Plus :-)?

> PRAM time does not appear to have been read correctly.
> PRAM:  0x83da4f80, macos_boottime: 0x32d089e4
>
> Could this have anything to do with it???

No.  That's just a little quirk in reading the time.  I have no idea why
it does that, but every system I've used w/ NetBSD since... I dunno, many
months ago... has done that.

> One last possible deviation from the norm.  Since I had only 2500k of
> RAM available, I am running the Booter with only that much memory.  Is
> it possible it is being flaky because of not enough RAM???

At the end of the booter, when the NetBSD kernel takes over, it allocates
the entire memory space to itself anyway, so it doesn't really matter, so
long as the booter has enough memory to load the kernel (it'd stop early
in the booter if it didn't, I think).

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |