Subject: Re: Looking for other people with this problem
To: None <apreco@mag-net.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1997 15:20:21
> Since it is quite a common problem, I thought it would be a good idea
> for all the people who are experiencing the booter freeze to try and see
> what they all have in common in their systems to try and find the
> problem. I'm having this problem myself. The booter freezes just after
> displaying the 'so i sez to him' quote. My system:
> Mac II
> 4MB ram
> 160MB internal hard drive
> external CD-ROM
> Daystar powercache030
> Apple High Res video card

Alex-

I don't mean to be belligerent, by why do you think that this is a common
problem?  To tell you the truth, I haven't seen too many posts to the
list with this problem that weren't solved by a quick look through the
FAQ.  Anyway, assuming that the Daystar board is functioning correctly
(don't worry, they seem to work fine without the cache under NetBSD), a
problem such as the one you describe are usually the result of an
extensions conflict (since the rest of your hardware is pretty standard ;-)

As for the possible conflict, the one I most often see causing trouble is
having some kind of networking software running (like AppleTalk or
MacTCP).  Also, I've had some trouble booting with any extensions enabled
under MacOS 7.5.5.  So, my recommendations for things to try would be:

1) Turn off all of your extensions except MODE32 (which you'll need since
you have 32-bit dirty ROM's)
2) Make sure that you are in 32-bit mode before you turn off the rest of
the extensions
3) If you are using 7.5.5, try making a small 7.0.1 system on another
drive instead if at all possible and boot from it (don't make it a
minimal system though, as the booter chokes on those if I remember
correctly).

Hopefully, one of these things will fix the problem.  If you're still
having trouble after this, please let us (or at least me) know.

Later.

P.S. You might consider getting some more RAM, 4MB is a bit small, even
if you have allocated a lot of swap.  Check out http://www.memory.net/
for some relatively cheap prices on the older 30 pin SIMM's.  You can
probably get 2 MB SIMM's for less than $20 (US) quite easily.  In fact
they are probably quite a bit less expensive than that.