To: None <photo@northstar.antistatic.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@ppp988c.pppp.ap.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1997 13:14:10
On Sun, 5 Jan 1997 22:57:31 -0500 (EST),
"Daniel M. Lipton" <photo@northstar.antistatic.com> wrote:
> Is it that annoying if I ask a question that may be obvious to an
> experienced user?

Whoa, nobody says it is.

> It seems to me that a private e-mail with a simple,
> "Please see this doc...here..." is not all too inappropriate.

And that way, the person who asked the question can learn to look
other places for what he/she wants.  Next time, he/she won't have to
be bothered to ask other people for the answer, but rather he/she will
be able to find it by him/herself.  I'd call it self-supporting,
wouldn't you?

> In fact, some of us read this list avidly to see the "inappropriate"
> stuff, because there isn't any other place to go.

Well, I'd have to disagree with you here.  There are plenty of places
for, say, questions about compiling perl (or what have you) on NetBSD.
However, I understand it may be hard for some people to find the
places.

> Where is the appropriate place for this???

It depends on what you are looking for.  Unfortunately I can't provide
you with "a priori" lists of where to look for.  You have to somehow
learn it.  A lot of people went through this at least once, I guess.

ken