To: Daniel M. Lipton <photo@northstar.antistatic.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 20:12:48
On Sun, 5 Jan 1997 22:57:31 -0500 (EST)
 "Daniel M. Lipton" <photo@northstar.antistatic.com> wrote:

 > O.K.  As a MacBSD newbie, yet not a UN*X newbie, I feel awful about
 > posting questions that might have answers in FAQ's, HOW-TO's or some
 > other doc's somewhere.  As a new user of any MacBSD product though, I
 > may not have even heard of that doc yet.

I think that this is one of the biggest problems... NetBSD/mac68k
is just that... NetBSD.  The "MacBSD" project because NetBSD/mac68k
quite some time ago, yet for some reason, the name stuck.  I find this
a little unforunate.  IMO, the NetBSD/mac68k community needs to let go of
the legacy name "MacBSD" and identify with what it really is: a port
of NetBSD.  People using NetBSD/mac68k are using NetBSD, not "MacBSD".
I think identifying with NetBSD will go a long way to helping people
determine which NetBSD mailing list their question is best suited for.

I guess I'd summarize it as:

	Calling this the "MacBSD mailing list" might give one the
	impression that all questions are appropriate here, which
	is not necessarily the case.  This is port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG,
	which is for questions specific to the mac68k port of the
	NetBSD operating system, as the name implies.

	Identifying with NetBSD might cause people to realize that
	their questions may also be posted to other NetBSD-related
	mailing lists.