Subject: Re: Compiling Perl 4.x
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 16:24:21
At 21:35 5/1/97, Mark Andres wrote:
>@names = ("Joe", "John", "Jeff", "Jim");

--Well, that syntax I *know* shouldn't fail, cos I can think of at least
one program where I use exactly that syntax to define an array of regular
expressions to test...and it works fine.

My only guess under the circumstances would be that the binary you
installed had different options set in the makefile to what your machine
needs.

I'd say - download perl 5, and compile it from the source using the
installer (well, makefile creator) that comes with it - it's not bad. In
fact it's actually quite funny reading what it says as it looks at your
machine to see what you have, and what options it should set. Courtesy of
the makefile creator, I found perl pretty painless to install :)

Indcidentally, I gather that the camel perl 5 book is pretty good, and
quite "witty" (and I quote) in places ;)

Good luck!

John.

                     "It's not a Bug(TM) it's a Feature"

 ["Bug" is a registered trademark of Microsloth Corp. All wrongs reserved]

    +-+-+ Admin on Monochrome (telnet 138.40.17.10 for more details) +-+-+
                  Email tugs@mono.org || happy@dircon.co.uk