Subject: problems with X...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ron Fondo <rfondo@supernet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1997 07:10:53
        When I tried to run X Windows for the first time, an error message
popped up on screen but was gone before I could read it. I assumed that the
problem was what was referred to in section 9.16 of the FAQ (./MAKEDEV grf2
grf3). After doing this X seemed to successfully launch; I got a patterned
desktop with a large "X" cursor.

        Now, I am a complete novice with X, but I couldn't do _anything_
from this point on but move the cursor around on the screen; I thought that
holding down the mouse button would produce a pop-up menu wherever the
cursor was. Attempts to use combinations of the option key and the left and
right arrow keys to simulate a three button mouse were useless.

        Is there a FAQ specifically for using X? The man pages for X,
xinit, etc. didn't seem to contain specifics for how to get started _using_
X windows once it is installed.

        BTW, my configuration is a Mac IIci, 32 MB, 1 Gig, System 7.5
(irrelevent, perhaps), and NetBSD/x68k 1.2.

        TIA.

Virtually,

Ron Fondo
  rfondo@homes.com (work)         rfondo@supernet.net (home)