Subject: identd/NetBSD 1.2
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Reeh <michaelr@connectnet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1997 15:29:31
alright more on the identd crisis I am having..

Im running a NFS #43 kernel, on a IIsi, NetBSD 1.2, 9mb ram, etc etc.

You may have already seen my msg about having the prob with identd.. I
changed the actual name of my kernel to /netbsd and tried several
different methods of running /usr/libexec/identd including automatically
from the pre-set settings in /etc/inetd.conf and a bunch of ways with the
-b option, by hand..  i have really no luck at all with inetd.conf, other
than it doenst give any errors and it seems to ACCEPT connections, but
from there..?? anyways, when i run it by hand, i used to use a script to
do it with the follow syntax:

# /usr/libexec/identd -b -u0 -g150 -a206.251.155.25

that always worked with 1.1, and NEVER gave me any trouble.. with 1.2 it
just doesnt work.. the only thing i can think of is that i had a heavily
modified /etc/group with 1.1 whereas its pretty stock with 1.2 and its not
binding itself to the right UID/GID when its supposed to. can anyone give
me some advice on HOW to run it from command line? here is my /etc/group:

wheel:*:0:root,michaelr,psychos
daemon:*:1:daemon
kmem:*:2:root
sys:*:3:root
tty:*:4:root
operator:*:5:root
bin:*:7:
wsrc:*:9:
games:*:13:
staff:*:20:root
guest:*:31:root
nobody:*:39:
utmp:*:45:
ingres:*:74:ingres
dialer:*:117:
nogroup:*:32766:
elite:*:31337:
qmail:*:2107
nofiles:*:2108

and here is the line as it looks, for ident, in /etc/inetd.conf:

ident          stream  tcp     wait    nobody.kmem /usr/libexec/identd
identd -w -t60 -l -N

(all one line, commented out for now)

more diagnosis: what i have gotten it to do, is accept connections, and
when i have it display all attempts via syslogd (-l -v options) it says
attempt by whatever whatever and gives the two corresponding ports that
its trying to find a user for.. but its obviously not sending a reply
because both irc servers (many of them) and manual telnet's to port 113
dont give me anything (however, i dont actually enter real port info when
i telnet manually, because i dont happen to know them offhand)

please, someone must be able to help me! thanks again,

michael reeh
michaelr@connectnet.com