Subject: fifo overrun errors
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: isaiah <isaiah@yourhead.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/1996 12:52:36
To all the ppp wizards,

I've recently run into some problems with the kernal spewing errors or
the sort:

Dec 30 21:19:41 opus /netbsd: zstty0: ring overrun
Dec 30 21:19:41 opus /netbsd: zstty0: ring overrun
Dec 30 21:19:41 opus /netbsd: zstty0: fifo overrun
Dec 30 21:19:41 opus /netbsd: zstty0: fifo overrun

Occasionally (although never while I'm watching it) the kernal panics and
these are the last errrors I see.  It would be really nice if the kernal
didn't panic twice a day, it's getting to be a real pain in the butt.

I seem to remember somewhere  that this is due to not enough bandwidth
for the serial ports, but I can't remember where I saw that or if there
is a fix.  Does anyone know where I'm getting this type of error?

My system is an SE/30 with 8MB and a 150MB external SCSI drive.  A Sonic
Ethernet card in the PDS slot (which works great) and a 28.8 modem on the
modem port.

I run pppd contantly on a dedicated connection and well as a POP mail
server and CERN HTTPD with a caching proxy turned on.  Basically it's a
cheap firewall.  Wasn't someone asking about this the other day???

Cheers,

Isaiah