Subject: Re: Your test160 kernel
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
From: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/1996 13:38:01
> Richard Ervin wrote:
> >
> > No luck with the Takashi kernels.
> >
> > One thing - I realized that I had not yet built my devices, so I did that.
> > Still it won't boot in any of the modes. Now, though, it hangs in different
> > ways depending on my boot options.  But I still can't get ANYTHING from
> > either Serial Console OR Boot Echo.
>
> Does it ever get beyond the ADB stuff?
Not that I can tell - I only know that the last message displayed on the
console is the adb: cleanup: nothing returned message.  If anything is
happening beyond that, I can't tell from the console output>

> > I'm using 9600 8n1 as the instructions specify.
>
> Hmm. I'll assume you cabling is ok. (You are using a null modem, right?,
> or a dumb terminal?)
I tested the connection with Zterm on both ends, then booted the console
without quitting zterm first - nothing.

> The thing with PowerBooks, which have power management, is that the
> serial ports are powered OFF by default unless something turns them
> on. I think that the 1.9.4 booter has an option to open the serial
> ports before switching to BSD so that they are powered on before the
> boot starts.
I am using that option on the 1.9.4 booter.