Subject: Re: Swap partition
To: David Bobart <bobart@dmatech.com>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/1996 09:09:59

> >        Can you let the list know _where_ it freezes, and what booter &
> >        kernel version you are trying.
> >
> >                David/abs       david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}
> >

> Quite right. I was at work when I wrote the first email and the computer
> was at home. I have fixed this situation and can provide the following
> information. I was using booter 1.1

	Dave, this is your problem. You _need_ booter 1.9.4 or later. This
particular one had some special MMU-mapping changes to allow NetBSD to boot
on 68040-based Macs.

> and the GENERIC-9 kernel (which I got from ftp.macbsd.com/kernels).

	Another possible problem. I don't think this kernel has SCSI driver
support for Quadras. If it gets a way through the boot messages, and then
says something like "No boot device", then that is probably it.

	I have a Q840av, and the kernel I first got to work was:
ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/for.hans

	Another, more recent one, which adds X-windows support for up to
1MB of VRAM, is:
ftp://host4.alterity.com/pub/netbsd.gz

	For further help, feel free to e-mail me, or Hans-Christian Becker
(hcb@phc.chalmers.se), as we have both been able to get monochrome X-windows
working on our Q840s.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"so we came up with a golden rule   |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | whatever works for you             |