Subject: Re: Swap partition
To: David Bobart <bobart@dmatech.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/30/1996 12:33:13
On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, David Bobart wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>         I have a Quadra 840av and I am REAL excited about the prospect of
> running NetBSD on it. I had an 80 meg Apple/Quantum HD and set it up to
> boot NetBSD. Unfortunately, the booter hangs (mouse freezes). I only made
> my swap partition 20 megs, but unfortunately ( not unfortunate in all other
> cases) I have 40 megs of ram. I am wondering if this might be causing the
> crash. I realize that I *should* have a swap partition that is twice the
> size of my real ram but I don't have the disk space currently available.

	NetBSD does not require the 'swap=2*ram' rule of some other
	unixes. The swap is additive - ie 40mb ram + 20mb swap = 60mb
	virtual memory (less kernel & buffer space).
	In fact with 40mb of ram you could run without any swap	at all :)
	(For X you'll want more virtual memory, though on an 80mb disk
	you'll not really have room for X).

	Can you let the list know _where_ it freezes, and what booter &
	kernel version you are trying.

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.