Subject: Re: PowerBook 140 and MacBSD
To: Daniel M. Lipton <photo@northstar.antistatic.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1996 22:43:12
On Sun, 29 Dec 1996, Daniel M. Lipton wrote:

> Thank you David for the information leading me to macbsd.org.  I found
> alot of useful information there, but alas, I have yet another
> question.  Is there anyone out there running MacBSD on either a
> PowerBook 140 or 145?  The PB145 seems to have been installed as
> serial console only, but I seem to be having troubles getting this to
> work on my PB 140.

	I'm pretty sure there are - hopefully someone else on the list
	will reply...

	If straight 1.2 doesn't work you should try the latest snapshot
	(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/snapshot/)

	If you have any problems you should try to note down the error
	messages (I believe the latest booter has an option to log
	the boot messages) and let the list know, together with the
	config of your mac.

> Where might I find a spec sheet of older Macintosh models?  Perhaps I
> am missing a key component, and I just don't know it.

	Not that I am aware of - the list on
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/machine-status/machine-status.html
	is probably the closest I've seen. You'll need a PMMU (Memory
	management unit) and an FPU will help, but is not essential -
	the FAQ should cover that in more detail.

> Well, thank you very much for your help so far, I am off to reinstall
> system 7, as MacBSD seems to have corrupted my system folder.  :)

	Bummer :( - good luck with 1.2 & let us knwo how it goes!

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.