Subject: Re: X-server problems
To: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
From: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1996 20:43:10
On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Stephen C. Brown wrote:

> >I have a problem with the X server. I use madhatter#35-kernel with
> >the xserver.961105.
> >
> >The xserver won«t start if the Mac is in 256-color-mode.
> This is to be expected.  There is not yet any color support for
> quadra internal video.

Think it is a nice feature for the bootloader to switch the mac into the
right resolution and colordepth.

> >When the mac is in 640x480 resolution, the xserver starts, but i am unable
> >to start additional xterms.
>
> How are you trying to start the xterms(e.g. mouse menus or direct invocation
> from the command line of an already open xterm).  Do you get any error
> messages??  There should be error messages returned to you, particularly
> if you invoke from the command line.  Are you trying to pass any options
> to the xterm command, other than just doing a "xterm &"??  You might also
> check your "DISPLAY" environment variable.  It should have been set
> automagically when you invoked the X environment, but if you copied your
> .cshrc, etc. files from another machine, you may be resetting it incorrectly.

This is exactly what i did. I set in the .cshrc
DISPLAY 'hostname -s'

in the /etc/myname
stoffels-mac.uni-paderborn.de

With this configuration i`m unabel to start another xterm with xterm &,
but if i remove DISPLAY ... in the .cshrc the DISPLAY will be :0.0 after
i`ve started X.
When i set the DISPLAY with setenv DISPLAY stoffels-mac:0.0 it still
doesn`t works.

> >When the mac is in 832x624 resolution, the xserver hungs after it
> >displayed
> >"Screen 0 at 0x41ad000, 832 by 624, rowB 832, fbase 0."

When i start with 640x480 i got this one
"Screen 0 at 0x41ad000, 640 by 480, rowB 1024, fbase 0."
                                       ^^^^^^^^this is the difference,
and i don`t understand it. :-?
Does this help somebody?

> The patches introduced in GENERIC 16 and 17 are known to hang both the
> Q610 and the Q700, and possibly others.

O.K. that`s why only the kernels <16 work on my Q700

Thanks,
	Christoph