Subject: Re: DiiMO accelerator and netbsd?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/1996 15:23:43
(This thread seems to have died a couple of months ago, BTW...)

I installed a DiiMO 50mHz accelerator in my SE/30 this morning.  After a
false start (nasty crashes in both MacOS and NetBSD which were fixed by
re-seating the card), it seems to be working great.  Booting with the
cache enabled doesn't seem to cause problems, either.  The card is
installed with an Asante MacCon ethernet card in the pass-through PDS slot,
and it also works just fine so far.  (It even fits without removing
any pieces! ;)

Here are before-and-after Byte benchmark summaries:

before:
                     INDEX VALUES
TEST                                        BASELINE     RESULT      INDEX

Arithmetic Test (type = double)               2541.7      397.7        0.2
Dhrystone 2 without register variables       22366.3     3550.3        0.2
Execl Throughput Test                           16.5        1.9        0.1
File Copy  (30 seconds)                        179.0      254.0        1.4
Pipe-based Context Switching Test             1318.5      366.8        0.3
Shell scripts (8 concurrent)                     4.0        1.0        0.2
                                                                 =========
     SUM of  6 items                                                   2.4
     AVERAGE                                                           0.4
after:
                     INDEX VALUES
TEST                                        BASELINE     RESULT      INDEX

Arithmetic Test (type = double)               2541.7      689.9        0.3
Dhrystone 2 without register variables       22366.3    14794.7        0.7
Execl Throughput Test                           16.5        5.2        0.3
File Copy  (30 seconds)                        179.0      513.0        2.9
Pipe-based Context Switching Test             1318.5     1201.4        0.9
Shell scripts (8 concurrent)                     4.0        2.0        0.5
                                                                 =========
     SUM of  6 items                                                   5.5
     AVERAGE                                                           0.9

There were other things going on during the "after" test, so it may not
be totally accurate.  I haven't yet rebooted to run benchmarks with the
cache disabled, so I'm not sure if it's actually staying enabled after
NetBSD boots.

The pass-through PDS slot is at the top edge of the card and angled slightly
backwards, and it looks like any PDS card that isn't ridiculously
oversized should fit just fine.  The wires that go to the connector on the
back (if any) need to be long enough, but any card which works in the IIsi
as well as the SE/30 (i.e. most of them) shouldn't have any trouble.

I got the card from Cyberian Outpost (<http://www.cybout.com/>), for
$297.95 (U.S.) + shipping with no hassles (aside from a bit of a wait,
but I may have ordered before it actually shipped...)

NOTE:  I'm not associated with any of the companies mentioned here.
This is not an advertisement.  It could be construed as a review, but I
guarantee nothing.  YMMV, Caveat Emptor, etc, etc...

I'll be happy to answer further questions, if anyone comes up with any.
This machine is running full-time (it's playing router and mail server,
building kernels and other software periodically, etc.), so it should be
a reasonable reliability test.  If the thing goes down in flames anytime
soon, I'll send out a follow-up.  ;)

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                         monroe@pobox.com