Subject: Re: hfsutils
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/1996 00:01:14
Hi Mark,

I haven't used the latest version, but hopefully it's sufficiently like
the older version for my knowledge to help out.  Basically, the first
thing you need to do is figure out what the device file for your hfs
partition is.  You can do this using "disklabel".  On my system, the
hfs partition I usually mount is on the second hard drive, partition "h".
This means I reference it as "/dev/sd1h".  So, the command I use is as
follows:

        hmount /dev/sd1h

This "mounts" it so I can access it through "hdir", "hcd", "hcopy",
and friends.  Notice I put the "mounts" in quotes, because what the
hfs utils do is not an actual unix mount where you can access it through
regular unix commands like "ls", "df", and "cd".  But, as long as you
bear in mind that you have to use the special commands, it works very
well and I have had no trouble with it.  I guess that's probably one
of the reasons I haven't upgraded to the latest version - if it ain't
broke, don't fix it(Although I really should remake with the Tcl/Tk
extensions)....:-)

Steve Brown
sbrown@best.com

p.s.  The "c" partition references the whole drive, so on "disklabel",
        you probably want to give it a command like:

                        disklabel /dev/sd0c

        That will give you a list of all the partitions on the primary
        hard drive along with listing what type of partition they are.
        Find the one that's listed as an "hfs" partition, and "hmount" it.