Subject: Re: HD fun with ID#s
To: Mack Nagashima <mackn@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/26/1996 11:06:18
On Mon, 23 Dec 1996, Mack Nagashima wrote:

> 	Alright..i have my root/usr partition on a drive on ID#2...  i
> also have a HD on ID#1...  when i boot..it's fine..but when i boot with
> ID#1 turned off..  ID#2 doesn't like it... and refuses to boot..i run fsck
> and it can't access the drive (#2)...  Is this just
> something i gotta live with? :)

The drive device numbers change if you use a generic kernel and you turn
off (or on) disks that weren't on (or off) during the install.  The
simplest solution is to put the NetBSD disk(s) at lower IDs than any disks
you may wish to turn off.

--scott

PS - I only recognized the color signature because I am reasonably fluent
in ANSI color escape sequences.  It's a little ugly on a non-ANSI-color
display.