Subject: Re: STILL can't read the manpages!
To: None <sjh3mr@dukes.stark.k12.oh.us>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@daikichi.nonexistent.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/26/1996 16:10:18
On Thu, 26 Dec 1996 01:18:57 -0400,
sjh3mr@dukes.stark.k12.oh.us (Steven Huwig) wrote:
> Thanks for helping me with my VT100/VT220 woes...but I still can't read the
> manpages. I eradicated the reverse-video problem...BUT...whem i type "man
> <whatever>" the output has a bunch of reverse-video ^Ms in place of CRs.
> How can I fix this?? Thanks again -- Steve

You probably uncompressed the "man12" file with MacGzip in ASCII (or
Text) mode before installing it.  If you didn't, I don't know how, but
it sounds like you somehow managed to convert all the newline
characters (LF) in the man page files into DOS style EOLs (CR-LF) or
MacOS style EOLs (CR).

Refetch and reinstall man12, and see if it cures the symptom.  If you
can, refetch it with the NetBSD ftp command and unpack it with the
NetBSD tar command.  A likely sequence of commands would be:

su			# become root
cd /tmp
ftp ftp.netbsd.org	# or your favorite NetBSD mirror site
cd pub			# lines between this and "bye" are ftp commands
cd NetBSD/NetBSD-1.2/mac68k/binary
bin
get man12
bye			# exit ftp
cd /			# back to root's sh
tar xzvf /tmp/man12	# unpack the file

Note that the text following #'s are comments and you shouldn't type
them at your Mac (obvious, eh?).

ken