Subject: Re: I need termcap/termcap.db files that work
To: None <sjh3mr@dukes.stark.k12.oh.us>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@daikichi.nonexistent.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/25/1996 07:44:57
On Tue, 24 Dec 1996 15:14:36 -0400,
sjh3mr@dukes.stark.k12.oh.us (Steven Huwig) wrote:
>     Could someone please send me working termcap and termcap.db files as
> soon as possible?

The one that comes with the distribution *does* work, though.

> Or tell me where I can get them? I guess that NetBSD
> 1.2's termcap files really suck for some reason;

Are you sure?  See below.

> all I know is that any
> screen-oriented program looks really crappy (even man and more)...keeps
> reversing/not reversing video.

This symptom with reverse is known to be seen when you specify
anything other than "vt100" as your terminal.  Even though the ite
driver supports only a subset of the real VT100 escape sequences, it
works "reasonably well".

If you still have trouble with screen oriented programs, I think it's
because either of or both the related environment variables (TERM and
TERMCAP) are not properly set and passed to the applications.  To test
the condition, you can do for example as follows:

	sh -c 'echo $TERM'

NOTE that the argument is quoted with single quotation marks (').

If you are using /bin/sh, bash, or ksh as your login shell, you also
should make sure that the variables are "export"ed so that they are
visible within the child processes.

ken