Subject: Re: ftpd setup
To: None <synapse@gim.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@daikichi.nonexistent.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/24/1996 13:37:59
On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 20:38:30 -0500,
synapse <synapse@gim.net> wrote:
> can i please request some documents on setting up ftpd in NetBSD? the FAQ
> has been of absolutely no help.

Didn't you try "man ftpd"?  If it doesn't help you much, I think
O'Reilly has a small NutShell book about setting up an ftp server.

> i have a IIvx that runs NetBSD 1.2 GENERIC #1. i want my ftp password file
> to be synonymous with the system password file, too.

It is.  Really.

> i think i heard somewhere that the generic ftpd doesn't work...

If you really heard that, someone must've been bullshitting you.  For
example, you can see that puma.macbsd.com is running the stock OpenBSD
ftpd which isn't much different (if at all) from NetBSD's, as opposed
to wu-ftpd.  It is not, however, to say that NetBSD's ftpd is superior
to wu-ftpd, or vice versa.  I'm just saying that the stock ftpd does
work.  It works for me, too, as I occasionally ftp from my Mac to my
other Mac running NetBSD.  I use the same login name and password that
I'd use when logging in.

If you are complaining about not being able to ftp-login as root,
you've clearly not bothered to read the man pages...

ken