Subject: Re: New Kernel: aaarrrggghhh!
To: John Plotecher <jplotech@diisd.k12.mi.us>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1996 15:57:41
Hi all,

I guess the proverbial cat is out of the bag.  I had really
not meant to profiliterate this kernel as it is an extreme
hack that would never have seen the light of day if I had not
been extremely eager to get X working on my system.  This
kernel basically hard codes the internal video to be on
without any real verification that it is there(I have
tried the various kernels from Dave Huang and Scott R.
and even applied the patches to my own sources with the
same result - the kernel hangs during boot).  So, if you
for sure have internal video, this will possibly work for
you.  Otherwise, please use the GENERIC-17 kernel as I believe
there has even had posted confirmation that it works with nubus
cards and X.  Again, this is an experimental kernel and an
egregious hack.  Use it at your own risk....

The kernel is located at:

	<ftp://ftp.best.com/pub.s/sbrown/madhatter#35.tar.gz>

and is known to allow B&W X to function on Q610(with FPU) and Q700.
As always, your mileage may vary.  Also, this will definitely
NOT give you color X.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com

p.s. Please do realize that this kernel is just a stopgap measure
	until we get the 68040 MMU mapping working correctly for
	more than just the AV systems.  Hopefully Scott R., Dave H.
	or someone else can get us a modified patch before too much
	longer.