Subject: Q700 and install experience
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1996 09:27:17
Hello Everybody!

I played the whole weekend with the installation of NetBSD on my Quadra
700. This is what i get (thanks to  Hans-Christian Becker):

Every kernel (11, 15, 17) i've tried won't run if the mac is set to true
color (32 bit).
It doesn't matter if i start with 640x480 or 832x624 it works(not tested
with the G-17)!

After a succesfull installation, i've managed to boot with the GENERIC-11
kernel. But during the filesystemcheck, it stops and i run fsck manually.
There were so many errors(can't understand why, it is a virgin-filesytem)
so i give up, and tried GENERIC-15 kernel. No problems during booting, but
the same filesytem problems.

After this i decided to install the whole thing again. I formated the
disk, made the partitions, run mkfs, build devices, run the base12
installation and installed the GENERIC-15 kernel.

Now i always get a panic when the system comes to the filesystemcheck.
It doesn't matter what kernel i use it is the same with G11 and G15.

This is the error messages:
root on sd2a swap on sd2b
panic: cannot mount root
Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk   6

Hope this helps.
I wonder why the virgin filesystem is damaged, i why the first
installation worked and the second not?

Bye,
	Christoph

Christoph Ewering         eweri@uni-paderborn.de
Husarenstrasse 48         Fon: 05254 12555
33104 Paderborn           www.uni-paderborn.de/Admin/eweri/