Subject: Re: installer Q
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1996 02:08:31
On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Colin Wood wrote:

> > I still use GENERIC #1 on my IIvx. Is GENERIC #15 merely an upgrade, or
> > something for a different platform, or what? [...]
>
> Scott would probably know more about just what has gone into the kernel
> between GENERIC#1 and GENERIC#15, but the major difference I know of is
> that support for SCSI on the '040 macs was added between those two.

Yes, that's true.  LC III support for MRG ADB was added, and several
things that advance support for LC040 machines (enough to actually get a
single user prompt, but not quite useable yet).  There's also the generic
kernel fixes, of course, some of which are significant bugfixes.  These
will be in the first official 1.2 patch, too, though they will be in
source diff form only.

> In
> general, if you have a kernel that is working just fine for you, stick
> with it!!!  (You know the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" ;-)

Excellent advice.  Unless you know the kernel fixes a particular problem,
don't bother upgrading.

--scott