Subject: Re: Asante Enet Box
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1996 20:57:34
On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Phil Bunde (I think??) implemented a userspace driver for the cabletron
> version of this...
>
> In any case, it was good to get the driver working that way, however,
> a kernel driver should be implemented, and isn't really that hard to do.
>
> The first step is to get as much documentation on the device as you
> can, including the SCSI commands it uses.

Which is a problem, because Asante is as bad about the proprietary
information crap as dear old daddy Apple....

>  > For that matter, in lieu of existing support, how does one usually address
>  > the network interface (is a normal ethernet card a device, and if so,
>  > which one...? tun**?).
>
> Actually, you'd write a driver for sys/scsi/..., and instead of attaching
> it as a disk or tape or having conf.c entry points, you call if_attach()
> and treat it like a network interface... use SCSI commands to transmit
> the mbuf chains, and then set up periodic timeouts to check for the
> existence of packets...

Sounds like a plan.  Anybody know a way (preferrably software-based) to
dump to an output device (file, printer, I don't care) all the data
passing between the computer and a particular SCSI device, specifically
during the startup while the MacOS driver for the SCSI box starts up, as
well as when packets are sent/received?  That would provide the setup
commands, as well as the means of encapsulating the data, at which point
the rest ought to be easy....  Yeah, right.

BTW, With the tunneling (userland) thing, it required the kernel to
support tunneling drivers, and did, in fact, use tun0.  'Course, I never
got it to do anything, but then, I have an Asante SCSI box, and was
simply hoping....

> "Simple, right?"  :-)

History will decide.

Cheers,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |