Subject: Re: It LIVES!
To: None <scottr@og.org>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@ppp9882.pppp.ap.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1996 00:27:57
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 14:12:49 -0600 (CST)
> On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Michael Peters wrote:
>
> >   Many thanks to all who provided suggestions and help, after removing my
> > Kensington 2button mouse, and putting in GENERIC-15, my machine boots
> > flawlesly.
>
> Interesting.  I'm going to have to defer to the person (Ken?) who hacked
> on multi-button mouse support, here...

Yup, I did put that thang in the kernel that talks Apple Extended
Mouse Protocol.  More recently, Taras Ivanenko added the MicroSpeed
Deluxe MacMouse support, I believe.  As for the freeze problem, I
suspect that either mine or Taras' probe routine doesn't return.  For
example, the Kensington mouse could return only the first few bytes of
the signature string either protocol uses, thus making the mouse
driver wait forever.  I can't say it must be it, but this *could* be.

> >   Thirdly, and last for the moment anyway, will there be any support for
> > non-apple ADB devices (like brand-name mice) comming up sometime soon?
>
> I know there are other folks with non-Apple ADB devices, so this appears
> to be a problem with your specific make/model.

Yeah, I've been using a Logitech TrackMan for about a year and half.
There are people with Logitech MouseMans (MouseMen?) which apparently
don't work for them, though.  I'm not sure which is newer, but probably
mine is (I bought it brand new about a year and half ago).

I do know the Kensington 4-button mouse (at least one version from the
same period of time when I bought my TrackMan) doesn't work with
MacBSD.  Or at least I couldn't get mine to work.  I returned it for a
full refund and got the Logitech with the money :-p

ken