Subject: Re: X troubles
To: Cameron Mellor <cameron@easynet.co.uk>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/1996 21:05:07
> I've downloaded and installed the 1.2 X distribution (Scott Reynolds', from
> 8 October), but I can't get it to work on my LC3 (1.2 release, GENERICSBC-1
> kernel).  I've done the following set-up:
>
>  . gunzip and untar all 3 files
>  . decompress a whole bunch of fonts
>  . done "ldconfig /usr/X11R6/lib"

Sounds good so far.

> However, if I type "xinit", I get:
>
> <screen goes white>
>   Screen 0 at 0x41ad000, 640 by 480, rowB 80, fbbase 0xbf5000.
>
> Then a minute or two later:
>
>   X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
> <cursor comes back>

Well, actually, you're not supposed to personally invoke the xinit
program.  Use startx instead.  Also, you might want to make your own
.xinitrc file to actually control the X startup process, but I believe
that whatever startx defaults to is enough to run X (if you only do an
xinit, I don't think that any clients actually run, so there' snothing to
keep X going).

> Can anybody help?  On a (possibly) related note - there's been some traffic
> recently about the best kernel for the LC3.  I've had no trouble from this
> one in approx. 3 months, but are there exciting new features that I'm
> missing?  (Why leave working software alone when you can upgrade?!)

Sorry, don't know as much about this one.

Later.