Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: David Carnes <carnes@tiger.towson.edu>
From: Michael Peters <sailor@oro.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/13/1996 21:15:41
On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, David Carnes wrote:

> > There's probably a reason for that... I'd go as far as to say that Mach
> > is a cool research OS (and, that's what it is; a research OS), but
> > I'm hesitant to base production servers and workstations on it.
>
> 	Please correct me if I am incorrect, but didn't Tenon Intersystems
> base their MachTen OS on Mach?  From what I have heard, it's more that
> decent and stable.

  Actually, Tennon's MachTen OS is almost exclusively BSD4.3, from what
I've been able to tell (after using it for about a year), though it may be
partially mach as well, and I could always be wrong. ;-)

  As far as stability... depends on what you're trying to do with it.
With their version 2.2 release, it is quite stable as long as you don't
use other internet-related software for extended periods of time... or
pretty much any software for large periods of time, it tends to crash
randomly at least for me.  I have heard from other users who use their
4.x version that it is much more stable.  However, I think I can put up
with sometimes having to guess at what's wrong and save myself the $500.00.

Michael D. Peters