Subject: Re: Beginners Problems - Help?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1996 01:07:49
On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> I've got a Quadra 610 (68LC040, yes) with twelve megs of RAM.

OK.  I think this machine uses the esp SCSI driver -- is that correct?

> netbsd.SBC_11.tar.gz (or) GENERIC-9

I'd recommend using one of the -current kernels that I've compiled, found
on ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/.  GENERIC-13 is
probably your best bet.

> When I boot, I get problems during the automated file suck. It tells me
> strange tales of incorrect numbers of free blocks and other things.

This might be harmless, or might be the sign of a troubled SCSI driver.
It's hard to tell from what you mentioned here.

> Also, once I've actually booted, I get a fair number of segmentation
> faults. They seemingly come at random.

Segmentation faults, illegal instruction traps, and perhaps another odd
error or two can be the result of a bug that affects all LC040-based
machines.  This bug doesn't always hit the same way, but results in a
practically unusable system.

At the present time, no LC040-based system -- whether Mac or not -- will
run NetBSD reliably, even with the math libraries that aren't as
stressful to the system (i.e. libm-nomc68881).

--scott