Subject: Re: NetBSD-Mach?
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: None <ken@net5.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1996 10:15:05
> On Wed, 11 Dec 1996 ken@net5.co.jp wrote:
>
> > > A NetBSD server doesn't really make much sense either... a 4.4BSD-Lite
> > > server has already been done; Lites.
> >
> > If Lites can run NetBSD binaries, then I agree.  I don't want to have
> > to have two separate binaries for every program I use... :-)
>
> Binary compatibility - probably  x86 only... and certainly not on
> the Powermacs (no NetBSD port as of yet to be compatible with).

Well, I was talking about the following scenario:

	1) I have NetBSD/mac68k (or whatever) on my box.
	2) I build and install MK and Lites on the box.  The host
	environment is of course NetBSD.
	3) I boot MK/Lites on my box.  Now, do I have to re-compile
	emacs, X server and all the clients, and everything else?

If the answer to 3) was "yes", I wouldn't want Lites on my box and it
would be worthwhile to port and build a NetBSD server that runs NetBSD
binaries.  If "no", NetBSD server wouldn't make sense.

Don't ask me why I would want to boot Mach on my box instead of NetBSD
in the first place.  I wouldn't ;-)  I'd rather have NetBSD on my
SH4-powered GPS car navigation box (if I buy such a thing, mind you ;-)
than Mach personally.

ken