Subject: Re: Beginners Problems - Help?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1996 23:45:00
>I've got a Quadra 610 (68LC040, yes) with twelve megs of RAM.

Probably a large degree of your problem is the 68LC040.  There
are currently bugs with the code that does the fpu emulation.
I believe the last word from Scott Reynolds indicated that they
have a good understanding of the problem and might be able to
provide some degree of fix real soon now(If this is not the
case, Scott will undoubtedly post a clarification).

I can only imagine that this is your problem, since I have a Q610
with the full 68040 and have had none of the problems that you are
experiencing.  I have even compiled my own kernels on the Q610 with
no corruption(It compiles things in about half the time of my old
Mac IIx :-)... ).

Hmmm.  I see Scott just posted with the location of the most recent
GENERIC kernel.  Why don't you give that a try and see if things go
better??

Best of luck to you and hang in there.  Things look to be progressing
fairly rapidly lately and hopefully the fpu problem will be fixed before
you know it.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com